|Nora Stanford Spring 1996|
According to the Long Lake map first printed in the early 1930s, " Long Lake was formed by the drip from Paul Bunyan's water barrel."
The legend continues to say, "Originally it consisted of five principle parts connected by a narrow necks of water. In 1885 Joseph Delaney built a mill dam 100 rods south of the southern outlet which gave the lake its present shape. The dam washed out after one day of operation and was rebuilt that winter. The flooded land was appraised at 3 cents per acre.
The timber was logged from the lake shores in 1882-1883. A tornado struck Pine Haven Area in 1885 and carried three feet of water over the ridge into the slue beyond. A fire burned this side clean in the late 1880s."
This page is dedicated to the gathering and sharing our family stories of Long Lake. Below are links to stories, documents and other items from Association Members and friends.
Stories and memories that cover general information
- A History of Pine Haven booklet.pdf (written in 1989)
- Goin' Fishing Pamphlet 1925 or 1926 : this pamphlet was used to advertise lots being sold on the west side of Long Lake by the Recreation Sites and Farms Company
- Gerry Budgett's complete "100 Year History of Long Lake" (67 pages)
- East Long Lake History, Written 2008 by Joy Reese Derr
- Click here to check out Ren Holland's website about the early resorts in Hubbard County. Scroll down the list to find Long Lake
Memories from 1920s through the 1940s
- First Trip to Park Rapids 1893 by Almeda Thompson
(this is a blog from 2/10/20)
- History of the Bridge by Nancy Stover Tague
- Early memories of Pine Haven Beach on Burris Road by Barbara Curtis and Bella Sanders
- Capital Hill News "Where the North Begins" Tues July 17, 1925 by Mrs. James M. Edworthy
- 1928 Trip to Long Lake by Barbara Curtis
- Once upon a time there was a laundromat at the south access
- This is a slide show of pictures of Hamilton Island from Jim Cashman. (click on the slideshow button in the upper right corner to activate the slide show)
- Also check out the interview with Mr. Hedstrom by Dr. Scott. Mr. Hedstrom was one of the owners of the resort.
- Where the North Begins: 9/18/1934
- Afternoon Tea on Pine Haven Beach: ~1935
- Letter from Ralph Livers: 1947
- Section on Resorts from Gerry Budgett's History
- Long Lake Resorts list past 100 years (list from Fuller's Tackle Shop)
- History of Long Lake by Mary Freeman
- Wooters' Long Lake History
- Tom Rice's blog about lake brochures from 1930s to 1970s -
Tom's blog has many samples of the brochures that he is collecting about Park
Rapids from Fuller's Tackle Shop to Hamilton's Island. Explore the different
entries, you may find something familiar. Tom Rice is a grandson from the Stover
cabin on Chippewa Loop.
Minutes from Pine Haven Lake Shore Property Owners Association: 1950s through 1960s
Following are links to copies of the Minutes of the Pine Haven Lake Shore Property Owners Association (PHA) mainly having lots on the west side of the lake. The group was active in the 1950s through the 1960s with many of the same goals as LLAA.
• PHA minutes, 1957 (minutes from meeting in Des Moines, IA)
• PHA minutes, 1959 (minutes talking about poor fishing)
• PHA minutes, 1960 (South Access Stocking Aug. 1960)
• PHA minutes, 1962
Memories from 1950s through the 1970s
- Lake Winnie Fishing Excursions From Pine Haven Beach By Lovern Nauss
- Timberlane Lodge 70 Years Ago by Lucille M. Peterson
- Cabin Legacy by Steve Kinney - Steve Kinney shared several pictures andrecollections of his family's Long Lake history. If you have trouble viewing it try to zoom in or out, that seems to help with the pictures.
- Document of Lot Purchase Prices
- Beginning of Long Lake Association
- History of Sam Erickson's Family on Long Lake as told to Sharon Natzel